So a couple of times now I’ve mentioned my current work in progress without saying all that much about what the project is. Regular readers will know that it’s called Hunter’s Moon, and the keen-eyed amongst you will have already noticed that it’s been added to the category tree on the left, but in terms of actual details I admit that I’ve been a little tight-lipped. Well, today I intend to break the silence and give you all a little more information about the project that’s currently taking up most of m writing time.
So anyway, I’ve been doing a lot of the stuff that a writer’s supposed to do just recently, and I have to admit I feel good about it. Mostly I’ve been working on my current project, Hunter’s Moon, laying down foundations and framework, and building up the primary structure of the story. It’s been fun, and I’m looking forward to getting some feedback on it when I finally post it to Scribophile. I decided to get the whole first draft finished before I post anything more, so if you’re on Scrib and waiting for the next installment please accept my apologies for the delay. Hopefully the end result will be worth it.
It’s been a while since I last gave an update on my writing progress, mainly because I’ve not really done much actual writing in the last couple of months. That probably isn’t that much of a surprise to regular readers here. In fact, it would be fairly accurate to say it’s pretty much par for the course when it comes to me and my sporadic output. However, it’s not all doom and gloom, believe me.
I know I said I was going to try to keep you all updated regarding my progress towards my self-imposed writing targets this month, and I know that since I said that I’ve only posted one entry on here, and I apologise for not keeping my word. However, in my defence things haven’t gone all that well since my last post.
So this week I’ve tried to make more of an effort to actually get some writing done. For the most part that’s consisted of tidying up some old notes and doing some edits on the bits and pieces I’ve already got finished (ie: mainly the first two-thirds of A Pocketful Of Secrets), but I’ve also done a little more work on the Shadowman project.
As I’ve mentioned a few times already, one of my biggest flaws as a writer is an inability to stay focused on one project for long enough to finish it. Over the years this has led to a realisation that I get my best results by allowing for distractions and by working those distractions into my workflow. This in turn has developed into a tendency to have a primary project on the go, backed up by one or two secondary projects that I can switch to when my passion for the primary starts to wane. That said, this year almost all of my writerly time has been spent working on the rewrite of A Pocketful of Secrets, with mixed results so far. And so following on from my earlier discussion about the various projects I currently have gathering digital dust on my hard drive I’ve been having a think about which of those I want to take on as a secondary project alongside the work I’m doing on the reboot of Faded Skies.
So following my comments regarding my lack of self-discipline and my need to Do Something About It, I finally got off my ass and did just that. I made a plan, I formulated a technique and I stuck to it. In the last two weeks I’ve managed to train myself into following a simple routine and as a result I’ve actually achieved stuff.