I know I said I was going to try to keep you all updated regarding my progress towards my self-imposed writing targets this month, and I know that since I said that I’ve only posted one entry on here, and I apologise for not keeping my word. However, in my defence things haven’t gone all that well since my last post.
To start off with, my new computer, the one I was so gushingly pleased with two weeks ago, decided to fail on me only two days after I’d waxed lyrical about how happy I was with it. After returning to the vendor I’ve since been informed that particular machine is no longer available and so I’m back to using my old PC until I can sort out a suitable replacement. Ho hum.
This in itself hasn’t stopped me from writing. In fact it actually made writing more likely as I realised that it would be somewhat pointless installing a whole bunch of games back on to my old machine if I’m just going to be replacing it (again) in a few weeks. Consequently the availability of time-wasting mechanisms such as games is now reduced compared to at the beginning of the month, and as a result my access to such time-wasting mechanisms has been seriously reduced for now.
The second set back came last Thursday, when I got home from work to find that my pet python, Medusa, had died during the day. She’s been a part of my life for twelve years now and as a result I had grown very fond of her, so to lose her hurt quite badly. If I’m being honest with myself I’m still not completely over the loss; I still find myself glancing over at the empty vivarium and expecting to see her nosing up against the glass for attention. As a result, my motivation for writing over the weekend was a little depressed to say the least.
Despite the setbacks and surprises I’ve still tried to maintain some sort of momentum with my writing, and while I can’t claim to have gotten even slightly close to my target of fifty thousand words this month, I have managed to top ten thousand, albeit produced in the first half of the month. Okay, so the more dedicated writers may not consider that a very good tally for a month’s work but given my track record this year I’m quite pleased with it. If I can carry that forward and improve on it in December I’ll be even more pleased.
With respect to Faded Skies, I’m now only a few thousand words away from having a finished first draft of the first book, and hope to have that completed by the end of the month. Once that’s been put to bed (as it were) I’m going to leave it alone for a month or two while I work on something else; one of the mistakes I made with my first foray into self publishing was that I rushed the publication of my novel, and consequently the finished product was, in hindsight, a bit of a let down. This time I want to do it all properly, and as every writing guide I’ve read says to leave at least a couple of months between first draft and first edit, that’s exactly what I intend to do with this one. After the first edits I will then probably hand it over to a proofreader or two before making final edits and finalising a cover design prior to publication (all being well) towards the end of the first quarter next year.
Despite being a little behind my intended deadline for the Faded Skies rewrite (I was hoping to have the first one ready for publication before Christmas) I’m still moderately satisfied with the progress I’ve made this year. All things considered I could have done much worse, and going forward I’m hoping that I can show a steady and measurable improvement in the months and years to come.